Soapstone (steatite) is a natural rock, softer than granite but non-porous, suitable for kitchen countertops, being a material resistant to high temperatures. Soapstone has a dark natural color that varies from gray to black and gradually darkens with time. Although just like stainless steel, it is not completely resistant to scratches and cuts, it can be repaired by sandblasting.
Natural soapstone looks a bit like granite. It is a stone which can be processed easily, so you can order a customized countertop, exactly as you need it.
Nowadays, soapstone surfaces are increasingly popular for decorating modern kitchens.
Soapstone is non-porous, and the fact that it does not absorb liquid makes it bacteria-proof. If you scratch its surface, it can be easily restored.
Steatite countertops, although durable, are not exactly as strong as those made of granite, for example. But it also depends on how you use them. Here are a few tips recommended by soapstone countertop manufacturers:
- Do not use mineral oils on this surface, as they tend to oxidize it
- Do not put heavy weights on a soapstone countertop
- Soap and water will help remove dirt from such a surface; no need for special cleaning solutions
- Use a soft cloth for cleaning
- Soapstone is a soft stone, try not to damage the surface by cutting directly onto it; use cutting boards instead
So if you are looking to upgrade your kitchen countertops, you might want to look at cabinets Denver Colorado suppliers offer at the same time and refresh your entire kitchen.